DETECT is a MATLAB™ Toolbox for the detection and identification of events in long multi-channel time series. Given training data of the events of interest and a feature extraction technique, DETECT can be used to train a classification model and label continuous time series data. Our motivation for developing DETECT was primarily for the analysis of multi-channel electroencephalography (EEG) signals.
Requirements and installation
The requirements to run DETECT are:
- MATLAB™ version R2011A or higher. Other versions of MATLAB™ may work; version R2011A and later are officially supported.
- EEGLAB version 10 or higher, if you wish to use the DETECT plotting functions.
- Download the toolbox and extract to your desired directory.
- Add the extracted folder to the MATLAB™ Path (File → Set Path). Use the “Add with Subfolders” option.
- Add EEGLAB and its subfolders to the MATLAB™ Path if you wish to use the DETECT plotting functions.
Sample data can be downloaded from our software page at
Documentation and sample code for all of our functions can be found at
For more information on the status of this project, please visit our project page at
Users can report software problems and issues by visiting our Issue Tracker page located at
Lawhern, V., Hairston, W.D., McDowell, K., Westerfield, M. and Robbins, K. (2012)
Detection and Classification of Subject-Generated Artifacts in EEG Signals using Autoregressive Models
Journal of Neuroscience Methods 208(2), 181-189.
Support or Contact
You can post an issue on https://github.com/VisLab/detect/issues.